Aren't you proud of me for not saying, "new year, new me"? It makes me laugh when people say that. Sorry, I'm sure you really believe you're new, but let's be honest, no one can switch and all of the sudden become the perfect person they want to be just because they stayed up until midnight to watch the ball drop and drank sparking cider out of a plastic wine glass. Although, I must admit that drinking sparkling cider out of a plastic wine glass does magically make me feel like a new person, so I guess it's a little bit understandable.
Spending Christmas at home was the best thing I could have asked for. I loved being able to be there. Also, Christmas Eve was like 75 degrees in Kentucky, so that was way better than a white Christmas. I have enough white the rest of the year in Logan, I don't need a white Christmas at home. It was awesome to be able to hang out with my siblings and see how they've grown and changed over the past several months I've been away (I'm talking about Josh. He grows like a freakin' monster. It's ridiculous). And to be there to see my parents making the decision to move to Logan (!!!!) was so awesome. It made saying goodbye way easier. More of a "see you in a few weeks at your new rental house where you can buy me razors and shampoo when I run out as long as I'm nice and work hard!" We put our house on the market the day before I flew back to school, and by the time I was on the plane the next day, there was someone who had already toured the house. Next day, I was in church, and I got the text that the house had just sold. This move was definitely being planned by our Heavenly Father. And I couldn't be more excited to be close to my family again.
This semester I'm taking 12 credits - it's the most I can really manage with a job for now. Since I work every Tuesday and Thursday 7am-3pm, I had to jam all those credits into the MWF schedule. Which is a fun experience. Ready to hear about these classes? This is gonna be good.
US Institutions (9:30am-10:20am): I take this class with so many of my friends. Which was totally an accident but it worked out pretty well. Me, Sara, Chandler, our friends Lacee, Katie, Erika, Sydney, Kirsten, some other people from our ward, and this one guy who served in our ward as a missionary and then came back for school. Oh, and this is the most stereotypical history professor ever. He wears ugly ties and he's so passionate about history and he lectures SO FAST. And one time he danced around the stage acting out the movie Pocohontas, that was fun. Honestly, we've all considered dropping the class, but lo, here we still are.
Psychology 1010 (10:30am-11:20am): My teacher for this is super cool but she's also very obsessed with gory things I think. Which I don't mind too much, but some of the other 200 kids in my class really don't like seeing ancient ways to fix mental illnesses (trepanning, if you're interested). Poor professor always makes jokes and no one laughs at them. I feel ya, Dr. I feel ya.
Foundations of the Restoration (11:30am-12:20pm): This institute class is awesome. I'm really excited for it. I loved learning about the Doctrine and Covenants last year in seminary, and this is just going to be a way cooler version than that. My teacher Brother Salmond is awesome. SO loud, SO easily distracted, SO funny, and SO strong in the gospel. He teaches with such power (physically and spiritually) that it's impossible to not enjoy the class. Also Chase takes it with me so that's pretty cool I guess. Brother Salmond definitely likes me more.
English 2010 (12:30pm-1:20pm): So my first day in this class, I had mixed up my schedule and gone to the wrong building first, and then figured it out and had to walk a while to get here, so I was like 10-15 minutes late. Which was just awful because it was the first day. But because pretty much everyone has to take English I figured it would be a big enough class that I could just slip into the back and not disturb anything. Nope. There's like 20 people in the class, tops. And the only seats available were in the front row. Awkward. I'm so good at first impressions it's ridiculous. But I made up for it by telling my teacher I was going to write an essay about the deep lessons we learn from eating dinosaur chicken nuggets. I think he likes me now.
Sociology 1010 (1:30pm-2:20pm): Now this is my kind of class. Can I just talk about how much I love Sociology?! SO MUCH. I could spend my whole life doing this kind of stuff. Unfortunately, I do want a future, and I'm not sure I have much of one in this. This professor is one I had last semester for a different sociology class. She is so awesome. I love her so much. Best teacher I've ever had. She teaches in a way that really makes sense for me. I walked in on the first day and she said, "Oh there's a familiar face! I was looking for you." And, I'm basically an expert on Sociology now (this is mostly a joke but kinda not), and I've skimmed through most of the chapters and I pretty much know everything I'm going to be learning about already. So that's a relief. Look at me being all knowledgeable and prepared.
So that's that. Other than that, my life has been super not exciting. Every day I've been back, I've been either working, at school, or both. The good news is that we always have an unlimited amount of cookies at work, so that's been awesome. And my dad will be here in like a week!!! (Take me out to dinner please dad? I've been craving Italian like nobody's business).
Fun work story: So first of all, let me just make this clear. I'm 18. I'm super young. I'm not very tall, I'm like 5'4 or 5'5 tops. And I have the face of a sixteen year old. I might technically be an adult and be living on my own and holding an adult job, but let's just be honest, I'm still a little girl. It's obvious to everyone. So at Best Western, we have one guest who's super regular. I'm not gonna say his name for confidentiality (that's probably something adults do I think), but we'll call him Ben. He works up here about every 10 days or so, so while he is up here, he stays at our hotel. He's a platinum member and gets an awesome rate. Anyways, the first time he came in while I was working, he asked me where my boss was. I told him that he doesn't work Tuesdays or Thursdays anymore. So guess what started happening. Now he always comes on Tuesday or Thursday. He looked anywhere from his late twenties to early thirties to me. Every time he came in, I'd get a nice but gross little compliment. Like, "your hair looks good today," or "I like your dress." Which is sweet of him I guess but makes me a little (that's a lie - very) uncomfortable. Here's where it gets good. This last Tuesday, I was working like always, and in walks Ben and his work buddy. He asks for a room for the night, and I'm getting all his information pulled up and getting things printed off for him to sign and getting his key cards to the room, etc. Work stuff. Just doing my job. Him and his buddy start talking about how much the snow sucked and how cold it was, and Ben mentioned that they should go to California. He turned to me and was like, "doesn't that sound like a good plan?" I told him yes, and that I bet the warmth would be awesome. Just trying to be friendly. He then proceeds to invite me to go to California with him. I laughed it off and gave him his stuff and he left. Two minutes later, he walked back in and brought up California again, saying he'd let me know what day we're going. I went to my boss about this and told him what had happened, and my boss knew the guy of course... Turns out Ben is 40. He has a daughter my age. Men are scary.
Long story short, I now wear a fake engagement ring at work and anywhere I feel like I might potentially get hit on and need it.
Snow 107 Love Life Update:
Mariah - Oh we're so close to having something here. We just need Pa to stop being an awkward RM and just date her already. Still holding that dibs on her first born child being named Madison.
Holly - Not much to update here for now. I do have one thing I want to brag about for her though. Not related at all, but Holly taught me today about starch in mac n cheese and it was life changing.
Syd - She and her boyfriend are my favorites. They're gonna make beautiful babies one day. At least that's what I'm hoping for. Oh man. I should call dibs on her first child being named Madison too. Dibs.
Megan - We decided that her man is probably just getting off his mission, and so they'll meet next semester and get married. At least, that's the plan.
Sara - Same old same old. Her boyfriend is a very nice guy because when we were all at the youth dance in Kentucky, he asked me to dance during some of the slow songs so I couldn't eat my sorrows in M&M's and mints (what is up with the lame refreshments at these dances, jeez).
Mads - Everything is going really well. Chase is the best. Also, I just realized I'm not going to be single in Singles' Ward on Valentines Day so that's like the biggest relief of the century. Nailed it.
No comments:
Post a Comment