Thursday, January 21, 2016

Nineteen's old. You're old.


The first conversations I ever had with Syd were these:

Syd: hi! dumb question, but did you find the Megan girl anywhere?! i can't & it's totally bugging me. *laughing emoji*
Me: hahah no I didn't. I found megansnow4 on instagram and I think it might be her but im not sure
Syd: ah you are awesome! thanks!
Me: haha no problem!
Me: hey her username is actually m3ggie_sn0w
Syd: oh okay cool! yeah thanks! not gonna lie I was way too lazy to find people hahaha

*two days later*

Syd: Okay! Where are you from? (: dumb question, but you don't seem like you are from Utah. Or your Instagram posts don't haha
Me: haha im not! im from Kentucky.
Syd: Oh cool! So do you know the Sara girl?
Me: yep! we're really good friends. have you talked to her at all?
Syd: No! She seems way cute! I definitely stalked her whole profile *laughing emoji* but who doesn't
Syd: Alright hahaha here is my phone number, I'm getting on a boat and I'll lose wifi, you can text me if you like!

...and the rest is history.

     I'm just kidding. The rest is not history. What does that even mean.
     Pretty darn soon after that she became one of my best friends. And that's not an exaggeration. When something embarrassing happened to me (and ugh, it was so embarrassing), I called Syd first. When something sad happpened in Grey's Anatomy and I was crying (yes, I'm pathetic... it's just so good), I called Syd first. When I was angry at boys, I called Syd. When something was exciting, I called Syd. When I needed to complain about work or money, I called Syd. She did the same. When her dumb ex-boyfriend was being a jerk, she called me. When she was stuck at work at the snow cone shop all night and didn't have anything to do, she called me. When she was excited about her new Harry Potter wand, she called me. We had each other months before we even met.
     And then... then we finally met. Which was awesome. I was unpacking everything in my apartment and she called me: "Hey Mads, I'm here." "Yay!! Where are you?" "Uh some building in front of Snow." "I gotchu." I walked outside the building and she was there and I think we both had the same ridiculous relief that we were the same height and would look good together in pictures.
     So we took pictures. Loads of them.








     We even kinda stole Chase's car once and went to Einstein's Bagel's and Jamba Juice. And we almost got away with it, but Syd just haaad to post a picture on her Snapchat story. Nice, Syd.
     So Sydney Gowans, because it's your birthday, and because you mean so much to me, and because you are so awesome and the funnest person ever, there's a cake in the baby fridge on the top shelf. It's for you (and hopefully me too, it looks delicious). You will have a happy birthday wish from me on every social media site possible. And a note from me on your bed when you get home tonight. Oh, and that birthday hat I wore on my birthday? It's on the top of the shelf on my bed. You can wear it today if you want. 
     Happy Birthday. Thanks for everything you've done for me. Thanks for always being there, thanks for making me laugh, thanks for encouraging me to be better, thanks for understanding, and thanks for being so cool. You sure are a pretty good roommate. Love you, crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment